Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm Back

After what seemed like a month off, I'm back to try and finish out the cycling season before returning to the N. Platte to fly fish for some monster trout. The break after High Plains Classic took a bit out of me as I attempted to race the Longmont crit P-1-2 category with 2 easy days of riding. 30 minutes later I was in the beer garden enjoying the free beer. Ahh, to be back on the river fighting 20" bows.

Well that butt kicking was enough to motivate me to try and salvage the rest of my cycling season (shoulder permitting). Riding enough to keep me fit and prepare me for Fed Center and Bannock next week, I tested the waters of fitness yesterday.

The CCC road race, 25 miles of rollers and wind, would let me know if I should just bag it or head south on Saturday. Pretty good competition this year had me just hanging in til there was just 3 of us. Even then I was figuring on getting dropped as I was always the one to bridge back up to John every time he attacked, taking a little out of my legs every time. I made my do or die bid with 3 miles to go on the long uphill before the flat to the finish. 30MPH! holy cow I'm moving. Only Cary could follow. we worked together to the finish and I passed him easily to take the race.

The Friday and Saturday before I was camping up in the Snowies for some hiking, fishing , relaxing, and for the dogs to have some fun. Fishing for brook trout in a small stream with a 3wt is fun, as long as the dogs behave and don't jump in the creek. That's a pretty bad thing to happen when you are targeting fish in a 3' wide creek. After a morning of that we (me and the dogs) headed up past the summit for a hike. Hiking at 10,000 feet is a pretty good workout. 3 hours later I was ready for a breather at lower elevation (and to get back home to do a long ride the next day)

So after another long ride today up toward the summit, it's time to take a midweek break before heading to Denver this weekend.

No comments: