Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Road season is over. It's SKUNK season now!

Well the road season is over. It is now the time to have fun in the mud/snow/sand as Cyclocross is now at hand.
So I go out yesterday to check out a possible course to set up here in Cheyenne. It's complete with a steep run up, sand, gravel, and grass. I just needed to mark out a loop for the riders here to do laps on.
Not 5 minutes into the ride with my dogs and I smell this HORRIBLE acrid nasty stench. I look back and Nikki is coming toward me with some kind of liquid on her face with one eye closed.
CRAP she got hit by a skunk!
Lucky for me Axel was not involved in the skunk encounter.
I rode back to the truck to wash off her face. I was in front of her buct I was still gagging from the smell.
I had made the mistake of touching her face with my gloves on. So now I'm down for a new pair of gloves (and handlebar tape which has absorbed the skunk oils)
We race home to give her a good washing.
Note: consult internet first for proper way to eliminate odor
Tomato juice (as recommended by my neighbor) does not work.
2 washes later and she still stinks, just not as bad. We go for a ride to dry her out (and tire her out as she is going to be spending some time in her crate)
Well my neighbors swore by tomato juice so I tried that after the run. Still no dice so into the crate she went.
Any clothes that made contact should be thrown in the trash not the wash machine. Now I have a wash machine that reeks of skunk. People are telling me to run a bottle of Coca Cola in the wash mashine to clean it out. Hmm, I remember what happened last time I listened to this kind of advice. I'll seach the internet first.
Tonight I will do the proven solution to skunk odors on pets
If all goes well the unlucky girl will be sleeping on the bed tonight.
They say there are 2 types of dogs in this case.
(A) Those that learn the first time to stay clear of danger and (B) those that never learn.
I'm stocking up on De-skunking supplies. I'm fairly certain that she is type B.

1 comment:

Chris said...

So, did she make it? I hope so. How 'bout them Cubbies! We won't discuss the Irish.