Sunday, April 27, 2008

Primus Mootry crit

Another early season (or is this mid season for me?) race held in an office park between Boulder and Longmont. I had much better hopes for this race since it's been a month since I returned to altitude and it was basically as flat and wide open as they come. I was the lone Skins racer as some of my teammates opted to double up and race 45+ and 3s.

The weather was cool enough that I decided to race in knee and arm warmers. It would later warm up to 70 after my race.

I started out well feeling better than I have in a while. There were a few early moves but nothing stuck until halfway through the 50 minute race 2 riders went clear. 2 laps later Bob Dahl of team Excel Sports attacks and gets a Mob rider to go with him. They bridge up and I waited to see what the reaction from the field would be. After seeing no movement I hit the afterburners to try to bridge up solo. I came close, within a couple of seconds, before my lack of intensity training kicked in and I fell back to the field. I lasted 2 laps in no man’s land. It was a good effort and I got lots of cheers which really helped out in the end when I was really hurting to catch the leaders. The Mob riders effectively shut down the race behind. None of the other riders had teammates and really profited from this generosity. I sat in and waited for the final few laps debating to attack again with 1.5 laps left but someone beat me to it. Good thing I didn’t go as we caught and passed him before the line. In fact we almost caught the leaders as they had slowed significantly in a game of cat and mouse. I was mid pack when I passed the last corner but was able to find the right wheel to pull me past most of the field to finish 17th.

My teammates in the cat 3 race did well with some interesting happenings.

TR broke a spoke and made an illegal pitstop at his car to change a wheel and in his haste he forgot to close the quick release skewer. His rear wheel basically fell out when I picked up his bike to move it after the race. Thank goodness he didn't sprint all out, he might have taken the whole field out.

CF and some other riders were taken out in the final kilometer by some young'n riding stupidly. He ended up with a taco for a wheel.


KOB was back up to prime form as was DK who unfortunately led the field around the last corner which was 350 meters too soon.


Garrett, a day after having to shoot pics at the Nuggets/Lakers game the night before, raced the 35+ cat 4 race and finished in the pack.


all in all a fairly good day for the crew.


My next race is in 2 weeks.


No comments: