Tuesday, August 19, 2008

North Boulder Park Criterium



It was last year when, for whatever reason, my body shut down early in the masters 35+ race and I dropped out and entered the Pro-1-2 race. I was doing well and then was brought to a halt 20 minutes in with a separated shoulder due to a crash.


That was a year ago. Early on I said I'd never race that course again. I lied.

The course actually suits me well. Ride near the front and stay there.

Skins had 7 riders in the race. As everyone agrred later, it was nice to see teammates in front and behind you. I was not feeling that great at first and it took me a while to get into a groove. Once I did it was too late, 3 riders had gotten away. A few riders tried to bring it back but the Green Mountain men were too much for everyone. During a sprint prime lap, which I won, I kept on going to see what I could do. It was not much and I resigned myself back to the pack after one of the above team riders would not work with me, protecting their 2 rider's lead. I did cause some commotion within the peloton apparantly and one of my teammates was dropped off the back in the accelleration. He has a good excuse to be slightly out of form though as he has recently became a new dad.

All there was to do was sit back and wait for the bell lap.

The bell lap (one lap to go) came either 1 or 2 laps early depending on who you talk to and no one was ready for it. It rang early due to the impending lapping of the field by the breakaway. I went from relaxing a bit to full on anaerobic/max heart rate sprinting to near the front when I heard "one to go". I positioned myself 2 riders behind a teammate somewhere around 10th position. With 2 corners left a gap opened up and I waited for the last corner to see if the gap would close. It didn't and I turned on my hyperdrive to try and close in on the "escapers". No such luck but I wasn't passed. I finished 10th. I won a case of Mix 1 energy drink for my earlier effort.
All in all a good race. I tried my luck in the pro-1-2 race but it was about 4o minutes after this race and the repeated accellerations did my legs in quickily and I lasted 15 minutes before pulling myself from the pain house.
One more race on pavement left, it's only the Colorado Master's championships, no big deal.

No comments: