Sunday, June 29, 2008

unbelievable recovery

Only 2 weeks ago I suffered an injury that at the time was set to derail the rest of my cycling season.
Initially told that I would be off the bike for 4-6 weeks, I prepared myself for the worse. After a week in a sling I was told by the orthopedist that I shold heal fine with time and to try and get as much movement back as was pain allowable. That day, without thinking, I jumped on a bike to verify a customers complaint of poor shifting.
Whoa, I'm riding a bike I thought.
So last Sunday I tested the shoulder on the bike. First on the indoor trainer (OK no pain) and then outside. A little weak but no real pain after 2 hours.
I decided that the weekends stage race, at least the road race, was doable and proceeded to get some more miles in to fully get the shoulder ready for the race.
What started out as not being able to raise my arm above my shoulder pain free on Monday turned into a mostly pain free shoulder by this weekend. Why the improvement? I can't say.

Dead Dog stage race
I rode the road race and finished exactly where I did last year, about 15 minutes down on the leaders. Not being a climber I was happy with it.
The Criterium went better and I finished 8th. Time to work on the upper end power, so I can do better in the upcoming races.
At the time trial I borrowed a teammates TT bike and turned in a decent time for having not been doing any tt races this year.
Next weekend Niwot Criterium

1 comment:

Chris said...

so, have u decided which way to go yet? keep me informed and i'm glad u raced decent after the crash!