Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hot racing at Leaning Tree

Hot as in heat. It was in the upper 90's during my first race today. I spent most of the last 2 days ensuring that I would be well hydrated for my 2 midday races. With the heat I didn't feel much like racing but it all changed at the start. I rode well but due to my lack of longer interval training I was unable to catch the winning breakaway. I held on and won the field sprint for 9th. It was a very nice sprint if I do say so myself. A little over an hour later I lined up for the Pro-1-2 race with the intention of staying sheltered in the middle and finishing. I found myself spending a lot of energy going flat out trying to stay on a wheel midway back so I moved up toward the front. At first it was easier because I was able to match the accelerations when they happened. But after a while I realized that less riders in front of me meant riding harder in the wind. After 35 minutes I decided to drop out. I found out later that a lot of riders dropped out before I did so I felt pretty good about it. All this doubling up is giving me some good training leading up to the final month of racing. I will be taking it a bit easy this week as I'm not racing next weekend. Time to go out and enjoy some miles without pressure.

1 comment:

CT said...

....yep, just a little warm, yes it was....