Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bikes and Maintenance

Work has been busy. I like it but it has its drawbacks. Long hours, minimal break time, arriving home in the dark with a dead headlamp having switched to the backup, emergency, single LED light that is kept in my pocket.

The positives. Working at a job I enjoy, helping other cyclists make purchases based on actual user experiences, and employee discounts.

After waiting over a week for my new Stumjumper to arrive I found out that the order had been canceled by the higher ups due to the fact that there were less than 10 available in the US. Once we found that out I started to look at the Trek Fuel 9.5 ( a sweet ride with full XTR). It only took one call from the general manager to say that I was going to go with a Trek since the Specialized wasn't available to get the regional sales manager involved and release a bike to me. Not just any bike, but one of only 200 produced in a special edition "raw" paint scheme. It must be only available to UK and foreign markets for the most part because that is where I found pics of it. Raw nude carbon frame with gold accents
I've been told by our Specialized rep that it is much nicer looking than the standard issued color. From what I can tell I will not see another bike in this color in the states.
This morning I sent off my order to Night Rider for their TriNewt lighting system. With all the darkness riding I've been doing I can easily justify the expense (employee discount helps). At almost 500 lumens I hope to make those cars that refuse to dim their lights pay the price. I'll be able to ride trails with the dogs at night also with this level of lighting.
My brother Pat in Chicago dealt with my over phone maintenance of his Mtn Bike that wasn't shifting. after about an hour on the phone I thinks he's got it. I'll find out the first time he goes out for a ride or reads this blog.

No comments: